Sunday, February 8, 2009

Week 12 : Matt. 26:27 - Matt. 28:20

In the Lord's crucifixion as portrayed in Matthew 27, we see man's unrighteousness to the highest degree. Unrighteousness upon unrighteousness was done to the Lord Jesus: the Jewish leaders were unrighteous in arresting, judging and binding Him; the Roman leader, Pontius Pilate, was unrighteous in handing Him over, despite finding Him to be innocent; Judas, of course, was unrighteous for betraying Him; and the Roman soldiers were unrighteous in their treatment of Him, mocking, beating and spitting on Him, and forcing Simon of Cyrene to carry His cross. In His crucifixion, Jesus fully exposed man's complete unrighteousness.

However, Jesus did not only expose the unrighteousness, He also bore it. For three hours from midday, all the sin and unrighteousness of the world were placed upon Him - as He bore this weight, "darkness fell over all the land" (Matt. 27:45). This was the point at which the righteous God could come in and judge all the unrighteousness of His creature.

This matter of God's righteousness is fundamental to the gospel, as it is the basis upon which we are saved. The apostle Paul said:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes, both to Jew first and to Greek. For the righteousness of God is revealed in it out of faith to faith, as it is written, "But the righteous shall have life and live by faith."
Romans 1:16-17

The gospel is powerful not because of God's love or grace toward us, but because He is righteous. It is possible for love or grace to fluctuate, but God's righteousness cannot, for it is one of His highest attributes:

Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Thy throne.
Psalms 89:14

It is upon this righteousness that the kingdom of God is built. History reveals to us that all human government is unrighteous to one degree or another, but God's government is built upon His righteousness. Having judged us once in Christ's crucifixion, God cannot, according to His righteousness, judge us again; so we may have the full assurance that, having been saved by His love and grace, our salvation is eternally secured by His righteousness.

I really enjoy the following hymn by Watchman Nee:

1. Why should I worry, doubt and fear?
Has God not caused His Son to bear
My sins upon the tree?
The debt that Christ for me has paid,
Would God another mind have made
To claim again from me?

2. Redemption full the Lord has made,
And all my debts has fully paid,
From law to set me free.
I fear not for the wrath of God,
For I’ve been sprinkled with His blood,
It wholly covers me.

3. For me forgiveness He has gained,
And full acquittal was obtained,
All debts of sin are paid;
God would not have His claim on two,
First on His Son, my Surety true,
And then upon me laid.

4. So now I have full peace and rest,
My Savior Christ hath done the best
And set me wholly free;
By His all-efficacious blood
I ne’er could be condemned by God,
For He has died for me!
Hymns #1003

No comments: